Position Title: Client Support Officer
Reports To: VTEC Manager
Award and Classification: Labour Market Assistance Industry Award 2010, Training and Placement Officer
Terms and Conditions: Full time, Ongoing subject to probationary period. Starting salary $40,154 – 47,895pa (depending on experience) plus superannuation, with generous salary packaging available
Shoalhaven Community Development Ltd t/a Habitat Personnel is a not for profit, Aboriginal community controlled organisation. We have an all Aboriginal Board of Directors, including a Managing Director with overall responsibility for the day to day running of the organisation.
Our primary service is providing employment and training support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, financed through a range of Commonwealth and State funding and contracts. Currently our major contract is operation of a Vocational Training and Employment Centre (VTEC), an Australian Government initiative based on the GenerationOne employment and training model.
We operate client services from our offices in Nowra and Canberra, and our Business Support is located in Nowra. We also operate a Night Patrol program from the Nowra Youth Centre.
Our Client Support Officers facilitate sustainable employment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander jobseekers. Depending on work demands, our Client Support Officers either undertake a holistic role encompassing all Key Responsibility areas, or specialise in one of these areas as detailed below.
- The position reports directly to the VTEC Manager, and also takes direction from Business Support staff and the Managing Director as required.
- In addition to participant and employer liaison, the position holder will be required to establish or maintain stakeholder networks including with jobactives and Disability Employment Service providers, Registered Training Organisations, and other community support services
- Habitat is a team-oriented workplace; all staff are expected to assist each other with peak workloads and major or one off projects.
- Assess the training and support needs of Habitat clients, and deliver and/or broker the services identified, to remove vocational and non-vocational barriers to employment
- Liaise with jobactives and Disability Employment Service providers both to facilitate client referral and support of existing clients
- Facilitate job placements, including matching caseload to available vacancies
- Develop and maintain relationships with employers and industry groups to secure employment opportunities
- Broker wage subsidies and other assistance as available
- Assist employers to provide a supportive and culturally safe workplace
Post-Placement Support (Mentoring)
- Provide individualised mentoring and support to participants for a minimum of 6 months post-employment placement
- Maintain timely and accurate client records including data entry and electronic filing
- Other duties as reasonably directed
- Aboriginality* and the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal people
- Knowledge of the employment services sector and the barriers faced by Aboriginal people regarding employment and training
- Case management experience (mentoring experience will be highly regarded)
- Initiative and problem solving skills, and the ability to manage competing priorities
- Highly developed computer skills
*”Aboriginal” includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander. Habitat considers being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent as a genuine occupational qualification under s14 of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 and s42 of the ACT Discrimination Act 1991.
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Written applications are required by close of business 2 December 2016, either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to 3/31-37 Townshend Street Phillip ACT 2606.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter that introduces you and why you want to work at Habitat
- A statement that addresses how you meet each of the selection criteria
- A resume with your skills, experience and qualifications
- Names and contact details of at least two referees
For any enquiries please contact Lyn Peacock, VTEC Manager (Canberra) on 02 6285 2422 or by email email@example.com.