Australian Government Solicitor (AGS) is a group within the Attorney-General’s Department. It is one of Australia’s most significant national legal services providers with offices in every capital city and approximately 320 lawyers who cover some 40 different areas of law related to government. AGS provides legal services through 3 national practice areas: AGS Commercial, AGS Dispute Resolution and the Office of General Counsel.
AGS is a self-funded fee-for-service Commonwealth trading enterprise competing in the market for the great majority of its work. Our lawyers have time recording responsibilities and billable targets. We have a strong focus on providing excellent legal advice and representation, outstanding client service and on being effective and efficient in our business operations.
AGS Commercial has more than 60 lawyers around Australia who specialise in providing commercial and property related legal services. Our dynamic practice supports some of the Commonwealth’s most high-profile and complex national projects and our services range over large-scale procurements, tenders and contracts, probity and legal process, ICT projects, intellectual property, grants and funding, media and communications, environment and resources, construction and infrastructure projects and property and leasing.
For further information about AGS and AGS Commercial please visit our website www.ags.gov.au
About the role AGS Commercial is seeking a motivated Lawyer to join the busy and dynamic Property team in Perth. This position is designated as Lawyer and classified as either APS Level 5 or APS Level 6 within the APS level 3-6 Broadband.
The successful applicant will be expected to undertake the responsibilities set out in the Lawyer role description. The position would be most suitable for a person with at least 1-5 years’ post-admission experience. Candidates with experience outside that range will be considered if they are willing to undertake supervised work of a kind and at a salary appropriate to a less experienced solicitor. The successful candidate will have a genuine interest in fast paced property work, enjoy the challenge of delivering strategic and high quality services and be experienced in and adept at managing a high volume portfolio.
The successful applicant will have a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) (with a strong academic record), be admitted to practise law in Australia and possess the following skills and experience:
• capacity to deliver superior service and value to clients in a high volume conveyancing and leasing practice
• be able to provide legal advice on, including the drafting and preparation of documentation for real property leasing, the disposal and acquisition of real property, securities and other general property matters
• excellent knowledge of Western Australian property law and practice, with knowledge of property law in other jurisdictions considered an asset
• excellent problem solving, research, analytical and writing skills
• excellent interpersonal skills, negotiation skills and ability to persuade
strong file management and organisational skills including effective time management skills
• capacity to meet personal net production/productivity/revenue targets
• the ability to contribute to or prepare cost estimates for matters and effectively manage matters in accordance with agreed client arrangements
• the ability to identify new business opportunities with clients and develop and maintain strong client relations
• demonstrated ability to work under pressure and in urgent circumstances either alone or as a member of a team under supervision, and to take responsibility for matters and work with limited supervision.
For further information about the requirements of the Lawyer position, please refer to the role description available on our recruitment portal.
This is a full-time position and may be ongoing or non-ongoing (non-ongoing opportunities will be offered for up to 18 months as determined by business demands). The successful applicant will be covered by the Attorney-General’s Department Enterprise Agreement 2016. Salary will be negotiated based on skills and experience.
How to apply
To apply for this role please visit our recruitment career website http://www.ags.gov.au/employment/current-vacancies.html for details.
If you wish to express interest in this opportunity please provide:
• a covering letter (maximum of 2 pages) indicating relevant experience with reference to the skills and experience for the role set out above
• your CV, which should include date of admission
• your academic transcript for your tertiary law qualification.
To apply for this role you must be an Australian citizen. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Baseline level (or higher if required).
Applications close on 30 October 2017.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Lee-Sai Choo, Senior Executive Lawyer on 08 9268 1137 or Adrienne North, Human Resources Business Partner on 03 9242 1465.